*cross-posted to Storytellers Unplugged When I was in university, one of my closest friends asked me if writing fiction couldn’t be a “hobby” instead of something I staked my future and my livelihood on. I was adamant that it could not. I had to create or die, dammit! I was born to be a writer!…
(thank you Marta Zieba) “As if how we construct meaning were not actually a matter of personal, intentional choice, of conscious decision. Plus, there’s the matter of arrogance… There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is WHAT to worship… If you worship money and things– if they…
This shows you how crazy my life has become: before I got sworn in as an American citizen I didn’t regard it as that big a deal. It was like an item on my to-do list: write 1200 words. buy lego set for kid. become citizen. get to yoga. And the fact that I had…
My first tweet of the day: My protagonist already a bit different than originally envisioned; you don’t know who your people are until you start to write them. Or at least I don’t. I can make all the notes I want, brainstorm, write up elaborate backstories, pick apart their psychology, deliberately choose bits of personality…
A reader had asked about the title of the forthcoming zombie anthology that includes a story of mine called “Best Served Cold”*. The editor of the antho, John Skipp, took it upon his gracious self to answer the question in full, so I’ll just reprint him here: The book’s called ZOMBIES: ENCOUNTERS WITH THE HUNGRY…
1 So I’m planning a new blog (as part of a new website) and I’ve been wondering what to do about this LJ. What makes sense to me is to keep this livejournal as very much that — a journal — where I can write about whatever doesn’t fit the new blog (Pop Angel: The…
live + work off your badass edge.
- is the enemy of creativity the culture of daily life?
- darling, it is time to be powerful.
- you are the power you don’t give away
- your second life starts when the world cracks you open
- at some point you learn that your passion is not your bliss. or your bitch.
- selfhood isn’t selfish
- sometimes happiness can only emerge from periods of unhappiness.
- you are your own damn permission slip
- how to be a hero/heroine: the power of story + the quest for true self
- Emma Watson + why the Artemis archetype makes for awesome heroines