“There is a home,” says Kevin Kelly, “for creatives between poverty and stardom.” Amen to that. Kelly’s idea is that an artist can strive not (just) for bestseller-dom but direct contact with 1000 True Fans (surrounded by concentric rings of Lesser Fans who might one day convert into more True Fans). True fans are the…
There are two kinds of power: power to (influence, inspire) and power over (intimidate, oppress, to rule through fear and bullying). Creatives engage in the power of the first kind. This is a shortened version of a speech by Nina Simons which calls on us to use our power with fullness and wisdom. So I…
1 I’m intrigued by phrases like “portfolio career” and “multiple streams of revenue” and how they apply to the idea of the 21st century writer. A “portfolio career” is when a person manages a portfolio of part-time jobs that combine (hopefully) into a full-time income. Writers tend to have to do this anyway. So how…
live + work off your badass edge.
- is the enemy of creativity the culture of daily life?
- darling, it is time to be powerful.
- you are the power you don’t give away
- your second life starts when the world cracks you open
- at some point you learn that your passion is not your bliss. or your bitch.
- selfhood isn’t selfish
- sometimes happiness can only emerge from periods of unhappiness.
- you are your own damn permission slip
- how to be a hero/heroine: the power of story + the quest for true self
- Emma Watson + why the Artemis archetype makes for awesome heroines