There’s a lot of talk about ‘platform’ and ‘brand’ and ‘voice’, as if these are individual elements that are separate from each other. What I suggest is this: Your platform is your brand is your voice. There is no clear separation of the three. And the heart of this is your blog, which is why…
….and if you don’t want to watch the video, this is what I said: Once you have the reader’s attention you have to engage her and keep her coming back for more. That’s why storytelling is so important, and a good author platform tells its own story as it grows and evolves along with the…
I was inspired by Danielle Laporte’s blog to think about the books I’ve read in the past year or two and cull the ones I found especially powerful. So I give unto you, Dear Reader, as we consider the ending of one year and the beginning of another, some lists of really cool books. I’ve…
Lo, it is my attempt at a video blog post! I am not sure why the sound is so out of sync, but clearly I’ve got some learnin’ to do. Bullet points: There’s a lot of stuff on the Internet. (You didn’t already know this, right?) To cut through the blogosphere, it helps to make…
I have come to believe that an author platform is its own cool thing. It isn’t something you can just slap on top of your novel – a coat of promotion, a sprinkle of marketing – but a living, growing entity in its own right. It needs to reach into many different places. You can’t…
live + work off your badass edge.
- is the enemy of creativity the culture of daily life?
- darling, it is time to be powerful.
- you are the power you don’t give away
- your second life starts when the world cracks you open
- at some point you learn that your passion is not your bliss. or your bitch.
- selfhood isn’t selfish
- sometimes happiness can only emerge from periods of unhappiness.
- you are your own damn permission slip
- how to be a hero/heroine: the power of story + the quest for true self
- Emma Watson + why the Artemis archetype makes for awesome heroines