the creative badass manifesto (a work in progress)

dreamstime_9926374

Become your own revolution.

Your creativity is your birthright. When people try to chase or laugh or stamp it out of you, smile and ignore.

You don’t know who you are until you know what you can do.

People don’t see you as you are; they see you as they are.

Practice deliberately. You have to fail in order to grow.

Push at the edges of what you understand, and listen to intuition. That’s when you become a visionary.

The more you educate yourself, the more intuitive you become.

The art of any art is the art of obsession.

Mistakes can open the way to the real art.

Feed your head. You are the sum of your influences.

Your art is not an airplane. If it crashes and burns, you can just walk away.

It’s not about improving yourself. It’s about remembering your soul DNA, and learning to burn off the bullshit.

You are not as alone as you think. Really.

The creative life is not a hobby but a constant state of mind.

It’s your job to say what others cannot, will not, or don’t even know that they know.

Interestingness lives on the edges and deep in the intersections, where ideas bang together and things change to other things.

You should only ever tell the lie that tells the truth.

Fake it til you make it, so long as you’re authentic.

There is a place where the world and your soul intersect, otherwise known as your audience.

Part of learning to do the work is learning to navigate the fear and anxiety before they navigate you. This takes practice.

Go there. And then go deeper.

Build on what comes easily to you.

Real art makes you vulnerable, but that’s where the power is.

Aim to seduce instead of conquer.

It’s when you become the most excellent thief that people will find you original.

Your voice belongs to you. No one has the right to take it from you, though some will try.

In the end, you love or you die. Love is better.

Apr 14, 2011

I am most certain you are the most kick-ass badass writer I know. Not sure if that means a hell of a lot, because I don’t know any other kick-ass badass writers. Still, you have to be baddest. This post proves to me that you have found the means to connect the raw horsepower in what you mean to the screen’s pavement without needin’ no stinkin’ transmission. Amazing. I’ve bookmarked the post and will refer back to it when I need a good dose of badassing applied to my often-times worthless muse. Thanks. :)

Laughing. Thank you.

That was one seriously badass comment.

Love it. Thank you.

I needed to read this. Thank you – I can see myself referring back to this a lot.

this is awesome – thank you!

Justine, you are insane. In a good way. (You’ve validated my insanity.)

“When people try to chase or laugh or stamp it out of you, smile and tell them to fuck off.” “It’s about remembering your soul DNA, and learning to burn off the bullshit.”

Your soul is kind. And on fire. Excellent post.

Love this, Justine, thanks for sharing it.

My favorites:

You should only ever tell the lie that tells the truth.
Real art makes you vulnerable, but that’s where the power is.

As for the last one, “In the end, you love or you die. Love is better,” this probably says more about my psyche than anything else, but I tend to think along the lines of ‘better to love with all your heart than to hold back out of fear of rejection, because we’re all going to die anyway.’

It also brings to mind a quote I like from French writer Amélie Nothomb:

Face à la découverte de cette spoliation future, il n’y a que deux attitudes possibles: soit on décide de ne pas s’attacher aux êtres et aux choses, afin de rendre l’amputation moins douloureuse; soit on décide, au contraire, d’aimer d’autant plus les êtres et les choses, d’y mettre le paquet –“puisque nous n’aurons pas beaucoup de temps ensemble, je vais te donner en un an tout l’amour que j’aurais pu te donner en une vie.”

Basically, the character (a child) just realized that people leave and/or die, and she decided that faced with this future “spoliation,” there are only two possible attitudes: either you decide to not get attached to anyone or anything to make the amputation less painful, or, on the contrary, you decide to love people and things even more, to give them your all: ‘since we don’t have much time together, I’m going to give you in one year all the love I could have given you in a lifetime.’

I hope I’m not blathering on about this for too long, I do think it’s relevant to being a creative badass since creation and sharing of that creation is indeed an act of concentrated unrestrained love.

It would be great if we could have it in PDF or some other nicely printable format.

I will just be over here, at your feet, soaking up the wisdom.

Again, Bravo! Anyone of your statements could set up an entire essay and thirty minutes of deep thought.

“People don’t see you as you are; they see you as they are.” This process is especially true, and consequently, we must strive to avoid that trap as well, as in: I don’t see OTHERS as they are; I see them as I AM. Empathy is SO important!

Irv

I’ll be printing this out and taping it to my wall. Thanks a lot for this!

Brilliant!

I love this: “The art of any art is the art of obsession.”

Beautiful! As a badass, my only edit would be to the sentence “The art of any art is the art of obsession.” I would change obsession to passion because passion helps us to fulfill our true potential while obsession allows us to escape our true potential – I tried to develop this distinction here http://edgeperspectives.typepad.com/edge_perspectives/2010/03/passion-versus-obsession.html

But it is a small point relative to the eloquence and passion you bring to this topic. Bravo!

I just printed this to hang over my desk. Thank you for writing; I love your posts on creativity. “Real art makes you vulnerable, but that’s where the power is.” I have to believe, trust, do… I’m working on the creative chicken that is shielding my badass. Thanks again!

“Your creativity is your birthright.” That truth alone is BIG.

If it’s ok with you Justine, I’m printing these works out and putting them above my desk.

So many gems in this, Justine, wow!! If I had to pick one, I’d say this one is my favorite: “Real art makes you vulnerable, but that’s where the power is.”

In order to claim your identity, you have to be yourself, warts and all. Being vulnerable comes with the territory and it’s directly proportional to your level of truthfulness. There is no replacement for authenticity!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks