the problem with “nice” (and why it’s good to be badass)

It is the job of the creative badass to show up as yourself, your true self, and say what is and is not working for you.

Easier said than done.

Jul 6, 2011

Pretty insightful stuff. As someone who was raised by an unashamedly strong woman, I agree we needs more badass ladies (and men) in the world.

But I think a few tantrums is good for Bloomingdale’s =)

Cool. Lovely, visionary ideas.
I’m a horror writer, and I post my short stories on my blog. The people who have come to read them really like them a lot, but I’m curious as to how to get beyond that trickle of 5 to twenty views per day. It’s frustrating to know you do quality work but also to know that few people give it a chance.
-Mac Campbell

Justine – This video is gorgeous. I’m glad to see/hear more from you. Thanks for the message and also for not making me wait…

Loved it. You have real courage.

Look ma! LOL Talk about edges? Great job, as always. I must say that I shied away from the bad girls posts, but apparently, I missed something in doing so. Thanks for the clarification:) Love the irony…gotta know when to be soft and when and how to be strong.

Yes. This last year, my lesson and personal challenge has been learning unapologetic authenticity.
Including and integrating into this the sum total of my character weaknesses because they are part of the map of self signposting my way.

Long, long ago, in a land far, far away, I met the young princess of my dreams. A songster and storyteller of the times, Cat Stevens, sang about the lady of HIS dreams: “I’m lookin’ for a hard-head woman, one who will make me do my best. And if I find my hard-headed woman, I know the rest of my life will be blessed.” And so it came to be, for me. I never gave up the search, until I found my hard-head woman.

After 37 years she is old and yet young, still strong, yet fragile, a fighter for integrity, yet easily bruised, confident, yet seeking my love and approval. She’s incredibly creative, yet eternally the student. She is honest to the core, yet she lies on occasion, only to admit it seconds later. She is wonderful just the way she is, yet changes constantly. She doesn’t defend womanhood. She defends her personhood. She is complete, and yet tells me she would die if I did. She rarely tells me she loves me, yet expresses it everyday. And I adore her.

My wife would not know what Justine’s feminine “bad-ass” is. But she is one, in many unknowing ways, just being herself.

Yes, I gushed. But I just wanted you all to know, fairytales do come true.

Irv

Justine, I can only say that your blog came into my life at the right time. I needed this, I needed your words.
Keep doing what you do because it makes all the difference.
Congratulations on the blog.

Thanks Justine– authenticity is the result of inner integrity. I’ve been thinking about this link between the two for a long time. Your thoughts?

Justine, I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I got a retweet referencing your blog. Your commentaries has been the shot in the arm I’ve needed. It totally validates me coming to terms with being who I’m without apologizing for it and not backing down despite being “reprimanded” for not playing my “role” and to play “nice” to make others feel comfortable. You are AWSOME! and thx again for continuing to touch the lives of women that you may never meet.

P.S. Do you have a book pending? (Traditional or e-book)

Spoken as only one who has learned the necessity and importance of being true to one’s self, you presented a real part of who you are and we are now better for knowing what this is the way we must be, too. Thank you for the reminder, the reinforcement of what is our right by birth.

I have linked this blog to a post on Google+ that went out to 78 people in my Writers circle. It is my hope that they in turn will repost to others, so as to pass this message along to everyone they know: not just writers; not just women.

I’m a subscriber, but I can’t access the video. It says it’s “private.” I’m bummed!