write what you don’t know you know

“Write What You Know is meaningless bullshit. Write what is mysterious, what is treacherous, what gets a spear thrown through your face.” — by @thebookslut (Jessa Crispin)

Write what you don’t know you know

Write to find out what you know

Write what you thought all these years that you had to keep secret

Write what whispers in your room when there’s no one around, puts an invisible hand on your shoulder, has the eyes in the portrait following you

Write what other people know but can’t say, or don’t want to say, or don’t know they know

Write what gets lost to silence

Write what had to happen when you went through to the other side

Write what’s dangerous

Write what made you out for your own blood

Write what you would write if you got tired of being nice

Write what moves through you like lightning and needs a place to touch down

Write what you saw when you unlocked the room that he told you not to

Write what the truth would write if the truth was writing you

Write what you saw when you saw love (and it’s not what we thought)

Write what’s burning down the house

Write what scares you

Write what made you want revenge and this is how you’ll get it

Write what pulls you in the wrong direction

Write what’s written on her body and only you can see

…feel free to add your own in the comments below…

photo credit: Helga Weber via photo pin cc

Sep 9, 2012

RIGHT ON. SHYEAH. Your assertion is so soundly righteous, I can’t even…

I heard a voice in my head that said today is the day you are going to die!
Who said that said I? Was it I?
I said, you lie!

@Yvonne mind you this was a month ago so, yup it was total bullshit!

Ooh, love this one….”Write what made you out for your own blood.”

Thanks! What really resonates with me is “writing into” knowing something I did not realize I knew. My dream activity and writing have achieved a sort of linkage in this way, each helping out the other. But in order to engage in this way, I have to absolutely get rid of the thought that anything is “meaningless bs.” Everything has to achieve some sort of significance, at least for that moment. That’s when I notice things I may not have noticed before. Thanks again!

Just write. Write, write, write. And eventually all of the above will be easier, accessible, and you’ll be fearless in your writing at last.

Love this “Write what’s written on her body and only you can see” and add this…

Write what others are thinking about you but too afraid to say
Write what you have been trying so hard to escape
Write what fear, what truth, what lies are trying to crawl out of you

This is basically my writing aesthetic broken down. I love writing about the things we never discuss, but we experience. I like exploring the depth of humanity. Now if I could just get started on this book.

This hit home today. I spend most of my time focusing on helping myself and others to see the lighter side of life – and all that effort put into “helping” mode leaves my shadow side screaming and kicking and wanting to burn stuff down. It’s absolutely glorious and refreshing to write stuff from time to time that helps no one, at all.

Write what doesn’t make sense. Write what’s wrong. Write what you’re afraid to write. Write what stabs at you when it crosses your mind. Write what will free you in this moment.

You reached me today Justine. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Wow. Thank you, Justine. My favorite of yours: “Write what the truth would write if the truth was writing you”
Some of mine:
Write what sparks hysterical laughter. Write what melts you into tears. Write what cracks you wide open. Write what your heart has been writing all along. Write what your soul speaks. What through the cracks in ordinary reality. Write your own magic.

Sometimes I need to be reminded that I don’t have to know everything about a subject to write what I feel about it. Thanks, Justine!

I write what scares me, what other people know but can’t say, or don’t know they know. It’s a challenge and can feel like a lonely pursuit, but the strength in it is gobsmacking. It is just so freeing.

God, Justine. I think some of that is my next tattoo. Or something. “I write what moves through me like lightning and needs a place to touch down”= best explanation I could offer someone for how/why/what I write.

Write what goes on inside your head, when it no longer can be cached there.

Beautiful post. Wow.

eeek and eeek. I’ll try, really try. eeek.

write about the ties that need to be untied to set you free
write about serendipity and bad luck
write about false borders, and invisible ones
write about unstableness, unsettling, the fuzzy and the muddy, and the pastels
write about the last photo of a dead
write about what keeps you awake

Write what your gut knows. Maybe your head will get it then.

Write what you’ve always been told you shouldn’t.

I’m reposting and bookmarking this. We all need this reminder!

Love this, Justine! I’d add too, that even if you never show it to anyone–this raw, scary, secretive stuff… write it to get it up and OUT of you. Write it to better know your own experience. What was true but may no longer be true for you, but it had to see the light of day for you to know for sure. Write. Now. Healing may be fast or slow, but healing happens. xx

Writing even opens a great field of learning, searching, and ways of sharing.
It is a place for deep rooted thought one may not express in the spoken word.